March 6, 2010

Her 24 hour Arrival Story!

How she arrived:
We went into the hospital on Monday, March 1st at 5:30am and the Dr.Connor checked me and I was not dilated and no effacement. He gave us two options to do a c-section (since no dilation and her head was not down far enough) or try to do cytotec and see how it goes and if nothing happens then do a c-section that night. I opted to try the cytotec. I at least wanted to give it a try. He said that the process could be long if it starts to work.

I was put on cytotec at around 8am which is a tablet the Dr. places in the cervix, I was checked at 12 noon with no change. Then around 2pm I started having contractions. The nurse checked me and I was only between 1-2cm. I already decided that I wanted an epidural but they like to wait till your 3-4cm. So I had contractions about a minute apart for about 2 hours. I finally got the epidural. I felt good after that. But within a few hours the epidural worn off and I could feel all the contractions. So I got two more epidurals....the anesthesiologist said that he has done thousands of epidurals and he has never had to give so many to one patient. 

In the end Layla was born on Tuesday, March 2nd at 3:11am by way of suction. The Dr. was concerned because her heart rate was starting to drop and I had been pushing for about 3 hours and she wasn't coming through the canal. It was scary but Dr. Connor was great! So she ended up with a big bruise on the top of her head and has jaundice...poor thing! So almost 24 hours after going to the hospital our angel was born!

It was so amazing to hear her first cry!


No comments: